[ptx] autopano: first attempt at semi-automatic panorama stitching

Ed Wildgoose edward.wildgoose at frmhedge.com
Thu Jan 1 20:49:26 GMT 2004

Yili Zhao wrote:

>ED wrote:
>

>>but do you think that it will work well for 8mm fisheye lens,
>>or even just very wide angle lenses?
>>

>maybe for 8mm full circular lens, if we remap it to equirectangular
>format, constructing the spherical panorama becomes a pure translation
>problem.You can see this process from:
>http://www.path.unimelb.edu.au/~bernardk/tutorials/360/background/process.html
>Thus phase correlation and klt can be used. Other wide angle
>images also need to be remapped before correlation search.

You would also perhaps have problems with handheld shots if the rotation
was more than a few degrees off center.  I have seen a few papers on
rotational invariance, I wonder if you can make phase correlation
rotation invariant..?  I suspect not?

>I think phase correlation can be only used to constructing single row panos.
>For multiply row panos, three parameters (yaw, pitch and roll) method should be used.

Sorry for being ignorant, but why not?  Would you not simply remap all
the images assuming some fixed overlap top/bottom and then phase
correlate, then switch top and bottom, remap appropriately and re-run
the phase correlation - pick the best answer?

To be honest, if it was only the initial overlap which was the problem
then I suspect that most users would be ecstatic if they merely had to
visually drag the pictures into rough alignment and let the auto
algorithm do the rest!  PTGui has a nice mode which lets you do this (as
an example of an implementation).

Pablo, how accurate does the inial alignment have to be for your
optimisation approach to work?  How good is it at rejecting invalid
matches?  For example is a very simple algorithm which merely assumes a
30 percent overlap on each picture, uses no phase correlation and just
tries all permutations of images until something matches, going to work?

Seems really exciting anyway.  Thanks all