[ptx] autopano things

Sebastian Nowozin nowozin at cs.tu-berlin.de
Thu Jan 1 12:11:46 GMT 2004

Hi list,

I am very happy the mention of my naive "autopano" program a week ago caused so
much fruitful discussion here and resulted in a far more advanced autopano
program by Pablo. Although I already consider my original program to be
obsolete in any way, it at least had some benefit in causing a bit of
discussion :-)

Besides that I read up on Harris corner detection and implemented both Smith
and Harris corner detection into my small program. This vastly improves the
results, but still there is no way to match up images reliably without some
feature-point-relative information. (The results and the updated code can be
seen on http://cs.tu-berlin.de/~nowozin/autopano/). Maybe the Harris corner
detection implementation is of some use to other people.

But this is as good as my first approach can become and I won't go this
dead-end path any further :) Maybe the time to read and understand more
advanced papers really repays. I hope I can contribute some code once I
understand some of the SIFT, KLT and other methods used by you guys.

Another small idea I had today which might work independant of the
feature-matching method used: To get rid of recurring elements (such as rows of
windows, etc.) one could match the image with itself and record all the
non-trivial matches. If their match-distance is below some threshhold, both
features should be removed from the matching.

bye,
Sebastian

--
nowozin at cs.tu-berlin.de --- http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~nowozin/