[ptx] panosifter problems & questions

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com
Thu Feb 12 08:16:59 GMT 2004

scholnik at radar.nrl.navy.mil wrote:
>    While I'm complaining about free software :) I thought I'd mention
> some other things I noticed:
>
> 1. panosifter tries to read focal length and sensor size from the exif
>    data, but when it can't find the sensor size it throws an error and
>    assumes 24mm x 36mm.  My camera stores the true focal length but it
>    has a cropping factor of about 5, so assuming 24mm x 36mm is really
>    wrong.  I do use the -v parameter but I think it is being ignored.

Instead of depending upon having both real and effective focal length in
EXIF (or real + crop factor), otherwise require an override parameter on
the command line, a useful fallback would have been to combine the focal
length field with a command line supplied crop factor:

  -crop 4.8

would turn my Olympus D40Z at 7.5 mm into a 36 mm equivalent lens, with
HFOV (in portrait mode) of just under 40 degrees.

This would then automatically work in any other zoom setting as well,
and would also handle both landscape and portrait orientation.

Terje
--
- <Terje.Mathisen at hda.hydro.com>