[ptx] how to do 'correct' 360 deg. panoramas?

Mike Runge mike at trozzreaxxion.net
Tue Feb 3 12:17:21 GMT 2004

Hallo Pablo,

>I'll probably modify the optimizer to vary the v parameter only in some
>bounds. Unfortunately, the optimizer used by pano tools doesn't support
>constraints, so I have to add that to the penalty functions, which should
>work, but is not perfect.

hope that works like expected. You'e right, constraints for v/p would be the
preferred solution for that issue.

For panos that are not closed I never optimize the v parameter. I found out,
that there are a lot of acceptable solutions for the same pano with various
values for hfov. And I found no rule to steer the optimizer to the 'right
one' while optimizing v together with more than one other parameter.

It further looks to me that equirectangular optimisation is more sensible for
that issue than cylindrical?! But I can be wrong on that. I didn't followed
that observation - maybe I did something else wrong?!

best,mike