PanoPoints

Pablo d'Angelo pablo at mathematik.uni-ulm.de
Mon Oct 6 12:09:46 BST 2003

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003, JD Smith wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 12:57, Pablo d'Angelo wrote:

> I hadn't caught even this simple bug.  Goes to show you that a user base
> is critical.  Anyway, it's fixed now.

Haven't had the time to try it yet, but you are definately right about
the users :)
I hope hugin is reaching a mature status soon, and that I
can release version 0.3. After that I'll start adding more advanced
features.

> For example, once you have a marker pair or two, position the cursor on,
> e.g., the left image, and hit "p".  A marker appears in the right image,
> typically very close to its final destination.  You can use the mouse or
> arrow keys (possibly with Shift accelerator) to move the other member of
> the pair into place.  This obviously works well for rectilinear images,
> but less well for fisheye or others, where a simple linear offset isn't
> quite right.

I plan to use the real projection equations for this estimation, once
hugin 0.3 is out.

> > It would be nice if you considered contributing to hugin, but I see that
> > wxWindows/c++ is quite different to perl/gtk.
>
> I have to admit that I didn't even get around to trying hugin because of
> the wxWindows toolset requirement.  I worry that others will be lazy
> like me: tired of the proliferation of widget toolsets.  I guess
> wxWindows gets you cross-platform compatibility, but there are already
> so many Windows PanoTools front ends, that it seems the Unix world is
> the place to make a stand.

I see that there many people who produce great pano's come from the non
unix world, I just want get them to give hugin a try and see what they
think about it. Its a win-win for all I hope. I don't think that
somebody will switch operating systems just to use my gui and then boot
back to photoshop to do the image processing.

>  I do promise to give it a try at some point
> soon; is there a quick how-to page?

The INSTALL document is a bit spare at the moment,but you can try to use
bruno's rpms.

> Do you have the source for PTOptimizer/PTStitcher (and not just the
> libpano library)?

No, unfortunately not.

> my pleas to give the source.  The old linux binaries for these two still
> in use will not survive major changes to the executable format, etc.

Jep, seems like this already happend on the Mac, and somebody rewrote
PTStitcher and PTOptimizer for Mac OS X. But its not opensource either... :(

> > Do you have any plans to start something like that? I'm very interested
> > in it as well (actually I'm already putting bits and pieces of the
> > formulas into hugin..). Some time I'll have to complement my panorama classes
> > with remapping functionality, to do proper pattern matching between
> > different images, for a faster preview etc.
>
> Not planning on it, but have always thought it would be fun.

I have completely separated the classes that hold the panorama from the
GUI, for example I have written a little command line stitcher (without
any features at all), using the routines (it only uses wxWindows to load
the image files).

so if nobody else starts rewriting Pano Tools, I will gradually add the
features I need to my classes.

As for the image processing itself, I use vigra, a c++ template based image
processing library. Adding support for different image types (16 bit or
float images) should be easy.

> I also
> have some new ideas on how to cut down the noise associated with
> interpolative re-sampling based on some techniques for astronomical
> imaging.

I'm not an expert for astronmical imageing, do you have references to
algorithms you think about?

>  I'm an astrophysicist, by the way, but I'll let your
> disparaging physicists comments slide ;).

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend any physicist. Its just that some
physiscits that I know have similar coding habits as H.Dersch ;)