Panorama project

Pablo d'Angelo pablo.dangelo at web.de
Mon May 5 16:37:52 BST 2003

On Mon, 05 May 2003, Juha Helminen wrote:

> >ImageMagick is very good for reading and writing an enormous range
> >of file formats; on the other hand, wx is linked against libpng and
> >libtiff, so it's probably ok *reading* 16 bit per channel tiff/png
> >images.
>
> It seems to be that wxWin do not support 16 bit/colour images. I found
> only note that wxImage::GetData() returns pointer to character data
> array (24 bits/pixel). This means that ImageMagick is needed for
> 16bit/colour images. Also it's a bit faster to open 24bit images with wx
> than ImageMagick when IM is Q16.

Well, as Bruno has noted, its ok, if wxwindows can load 16bit/channel
images. I think that 8bit/channel images are probably good enough for
us right now.

Also, wxWindows supports only 3 channel images, but I'd like to use
single channel images for the ctrl point finetune and other things.

But booth wxImage and QImage do not offer advanced image processing
functions, so we can as well use raw arrays. Images need to be converted
to wxBitmap or QPixmap for drawing anyway.

> How to select programming enviroment for code? Is it better to make poll
> or how to chose between Qt and wxWindows?

Since I'll need a program to demostrate some simple image correlation algos
on Monday, I've enhanced hugin a little bit, because it was faster to do
than rewrite it with wxwindows.

I haven't finished my wxwindows experiments yet, but I think the event
handling is a lot more clumsy to use than QT's signals/slots. But maybe
they're not that bad. So I haven't decided yet.