ocaml / gtk and so

Juha Helminen juhe at nic.fi
Fri Jan 24 15:22:07 GMT 2003

> If we use gtk, perhaps we still can provide static binaries for
> windows. Does someone know if we can do that ? Anyway we can use the
> same method as in the windows port of gimp so in theory we could
> provide an easy to install (but perhaps big) windows version.

Cygwin with Xfree might be too much for normal windows user. I installed
and cheked that it worked. Installing was easy and there were no
problems. I don't know what to do if setup will not work!

Gimp style with libraries could be possible, I might use Cygwin/xfree.

How much ocaml code needs to make direct screen operations? If not then
porting might be easier as I think that them can be used in any program
(and BCB can be used). So screen operations, image operations, operating
system part, GUI, ... are own modules so that portability is not too
much tied to one enviroment.

Still I think that wxWindows will be faster (no emulation) than cygwin
but there might not be one good solution at a moment to make easily
portable code, other than Java??.

Juha