ocaml / gtk and so

Julien Narboux Julien.Narboux at inria.fr
Thu Jan 23 14:13:08 GMT 2003

Juha Helminen wrote:

>>> -An port for gtk to windows is allready possible (cygwin).
>>

> I've trying to find what kind of other systems there are and I found
> wxWindows (again). License is under LGPL (there are commercial
> programs that uses wxWindows).

> Linux version of wxWindows uses gtk. Is it better to use gtk directly
> than with wxWindows? Maybe ocaml modules must be used through gtk but
> what else?
>
> There seems to be some GUI designers for wxWindows (all are not
> OS-specific tools or commercial) but I haven't tested them.

I will try to find and test one.

> Are there designers for gtk?

Yes there is glade
and there is mlglade ; It is a software that takes a .glade file in
input and generate the ocaml code.
I did an hello world last week end in a matter of minutes then I have
tried to design a more complex gui, the problem is that
-1- some widget are not supported in mlglade (pixmap and clistà): I send
an email to the author and He said he could add them, but clist is
deprecated in gtk2.
-2- glade (the designer) and lablgtk (the interface between ocaml and
gtk) and mlglade  do not use gtk2 but gtk 1.2.
(but there is an alpha version of lablgtk2 )

Julien