[ptx] Separate Optimizer/Stitcher Package?

Pablo d'Angelo pablo at mathematik.uni-ulm.de
Tue Dec 16 17:24:58 GMT 2003

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, JD Smith wrote:

> The creation of an optimizer and stitcher completely separate from
> PTOptimizer/PTStitcher is a real achievement, which I think would have
> great impact outside of the hugin project.  Since these have so many
> fewer dependencies than hugin, does it make sense to split them off into
> their own package?  Assuming they are both drop-in replacements (except
> faster and with source available), I know many users of PanoTools would
> benefit from their wide availability, e.g. those with a large collection
> of control script files already in hand.  It would also be good

Well, the script parser is only able to parse hugin, PTAssembler and PTGui
project files, at least right now.

> advertisement for the capabilities hugin, though I suspect the other
> front-ends would catch on to the speed-up techniques and implement them
> themselves.

Yes, I see the possibilities. Currently the stitcher is integrated into the
Panorama Data model of hugin, with support for interactive changes and some
other stuff that was modelled after the panorama tools.

Otherwise it is definately possible to break them apart. The question is
whether this should be done now, or after our stitcher has gotten a new
architecture (Alexandre had some good ideas).