comments on current cvs gui

Bruno Postle bruno@postle.net
Sun, 5 May 2002 20:47:25 +0100

On Sun 05-May-2002 at 11:16:38 -0700, Ianiv Schweber wrote:

> > The image-IDs in the gui are currently numbered 1,2,3, rather than
> > 0,1,2,

> I don't care either way. I thought about what it should be and then
> decided 1,2,3 because I didn't have to figure out how to change the
> headers in the table widget :)

Interesting that the widget does 1,2,3 by default.  It must have been a
conscious decision by the qt people.

> The status bar in the current program was there by default and it is
> used to put descriptions of menu items, etc.

Wow, all these years I've been using computers and I had never noticed
that the status bar shows tooltip stuff - I just checked-out a couple
of gnome-apps and they do the same.

> We can have a separate output scrollable area with error info, etc.

Yes, the status bar can already be disabled, so space is not a problem.
Scrollable text areas are _really_ useful for apps that generate lots of
text output.

> My idea is to use an image memory cache with user defined size.

That sounds sensible, an app like this shouldn't have to eat hundreds of
megabytes of memory.

> Right now it is used only for the thumbnails so they don't have to be
> created avery time (expensive).

Some of the distorted thumbnails are going to be _very_ expensive, we
might want to cache them between sessions (maybe in the xml if they are
small enough).

--
Bruno