AW: A critique of the ptgui interface

Kai-Uwe.Behrmann@VHBAC.SMF.SACHSEN.DE Kai-Uwe.Behrmann@VHBAC.SMF.SACHSEN.DE
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 13:49:50 +0200

Hello
thanks for your quick answere.

> > Despite of this a particular preview for the lenssettings including
> > all of the parameters from the correct-plugin could help easy to
> > integrate the physic lenses.
>
> Yes, though I don't know if this is possible.
Let us take an suitable photo. Most useable is someting from the artificial
world - architecture, a room or a testgrafic with many lines on it. This
foto should show after lenscorrection all lines linear and not curved (
barrel-distortion ). As well the lines or edges should show no
color-displacement. And there should be no darker edges visible like with
many lenses if taken the foto with wide opend lens.
As application: It should be simple to make an rectilinear, corrected and
cropped image by taking the hole sourceimagesize and calculate the final
displacement ( d and e ) and scaling ( a,b,c ) for the test. All the
formulas neccesarry for it .. I had to lock at first. With an softwareline
like the distance/arc-messuringtool in gimp it should be easy to detect
barrel distortion. Simply if one can change the related values in the
lensgui and see instantly what happens, the good values are more easy to
been find --> continuously showing the new image over the old one to compare
both.
At the moment its an timeeating try/error testing with editing/saving the
script and starting the optimizer and ptstitch by hand.

> That's what is nice about ptgui.  I didn't really have any confidence
> that I was 'doing it right' until I started using it.
I think I will try ptgui this evening to follow Your thoughts.

Regards,
Kai-Uwe